Friday, July 09, 2004

Gmail tip: Quick 'n Dirty Contact Manager!

The more I play with Gmail, the more I happen to like it. Google is setting new standards for user interfaces delivered via the Internet.

Keeping contacts and a history of changes with them works pretty nicely in Gmail. Simply mail yourself the name of the company in the subject line like so:

Contact: XYZ Corporattion

In the body, include the relevant information and keywords if you want:

Joe Person 555.224.5454x234
Jane Person 1.800.777.6555 Fax, whatever.

Web developers, married gurus, whatever.

Then as changes occur, simply reply to capture a running history of your contact with these folks. Use their name as a label to tag conversations you have had with them as well.

For me this works surprisingly well as I am on the road a lot and do not carry a PDA. Almost always can get a moment at a browser however. Just be sure to use the https:// interface if you want to keep your info sheltered from the greater internet.

Comments? How do you use Gmail, I am interested!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doug. I'm giving this a try, and so far I like it. I started by making the subject line "Contact: [real name]". But I've found I like marking my contacts with a label called "Contacts", which makes the "Contact: " portion of the subject line redundant... Also, I'm storing them by person instead of company. Partly because people change their employers more often than their names, and partly because I'm interested in tracking the people, not who is employed at each company. Anyhow, thanks for the tip!

PK

July 10, 2004 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your idea too. Considered making the company name a label, perhaps contacts@company or some other such thing.

Could just search on their domain as well to get the same result.

You should start a blog one of these days. --It's easy.

DD

July 10, 2004 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make use of the plus notation in Gmail.

(You can put a plus sign after your username with anything you want. Examples john.doe+contacts@gmail.com, john.doe+note_to_self@gmail.com.)

I've set up an alias in my address book called "Notes" this sends mail to my.username+notes@gmail.com. I have a filter that applies a Notes label, archives, and stars mail sent to my.username+notes@gmail.com.

I suppose this method could be used for a cheap todo list, it would also work very well for your contact manager. (However, you should look at the updated addressbook. Very nifty)

October 15, 2004 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not working !

May 01, 2005 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home