Sunday, January 23, 2005

IBOC Noise in Portland Oregon


THIS ENDED UP NOT BEING IBOC NOISE


HD side effects, for me, include:

- no more FM DX and poorly functioning autoscan. Most of my radios now stop at the IBOC sidebands of the stations broadcasting them :(

Ok, so that's not very many effects. I guess that puts me into grudging general support of IBOC FM really. I think people will easily trade DX, for more program choices offered by FM IBOC. AM IBOC, on the other hand = pure evil.

Edit: Others have pointed out this is not IBOC. Dang, that means I've got a noise source to nail down. Accordingly, I'm removing one of my side effects now, leaving the DX issue. DX in my case it actually pretty minor. The Portland FM dial only has one real station; namely, KNRK 94.7! Since the rest of the dial does not matter to me, the DX issue is off the table.

What prompted this post? New tuner teething pains actually. (It's an old tuner, but new to me!)

I wrote a nice paper on HD radio technical implications, and you can get samples of HD FM audio here. Be nice please and download once, then listen! --Thanks!

I think FM IBOC might be accepted, I have serious doubts about AM at this time --read the paper if you want to know why.

Minor edits, addition of samples and paper link. 03/15/05

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See http://n2.net/k6sti/iboc.htm

February 18, 2005 5:07 AM  
Blogger Doug Dingus said...

Very interesting info. Thanks for the link.

I'm working on an anti-IBOC position paper for my legislators. This information confirms other people reporting noise on ordinary FM receivers when tuned to IBOC enabled (disabled?) stations.

February 18, 2005 8:17 AM  
Blogger Doug Dingus said...

Edit: I'm still not hot on the idea of FM IBOC, but it appears to be reasonable on my radios. (Analog signal, that is.)

AM IBOC IS STILL A MESS HOWEVER.

Just thought I would update this. I'm going to continue AM advocacy, but leave FM alone for now. See Mar 05 for my reasons.

March 06, 2005 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home